Good intent and somewhat competent

The Innkeeper the_innkeeper at sols.net
Sun Jan 19 12:20:44 EST 1997

----------
> > >Kim I see that it cost a thousand dollars per year to belong to the
> > >club. Why?  It appears to me also that any address space obtained cost
> > >money or have I miss read something? Since money is being charged a
> > >court some where may not agree with the current justifications.
> > >
> > Of course, there are always going to be people who may not agree with
> > the fee policy, regardless of the fee schedule. In fact, there will
> > most likely be dissenters who vehemently object to any fee whatsoever,
> > but this doesn't solve the problem of funding an IP Address allocation
> > registry which can continue to operate effectively.
> >
> > No magic here. What exactly is your point?
> >
> My point is why should it cost so much to belong?  Paul you seem to have
> an understanding of the costs involved here.  Could you share with me
> how much money would be generated per year at the proposed level and the
> current number of addresses allocated.  Maybe I have nothing to talk
> about.  At the current pricing for Name Service $100.00 X 80,000 (domain
> names per month MSNBC) per month equals $8,000,000 per month times 12
> months equal $96,000,000 per year how much money does it take to fund
> one of these things?

Very good point Nathan....The answer is one of my concerns also....How much
money does it take to fund this thing and where is the extra money
going...I know that the Name Service was supposed to set aside a portion of
generated funds for Internet Improvement...At last check this fund was
$9,000,000 short of what it should contain...Are we going to run into the
same problems with ARIN?

Stephan R. May, Sr., Manager, Southeastern Online System Services
                    http://www.sols.net       the_innkeeper at sols.net
Proud member of the Association of Online Professionals Board of Directors
                                        http://www.aop.org