Good intent and somewhat competent

Nathan Soward nsoward at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 19 11:07:05 EST 1997

Paul Ferguson wrote:

> At 01:13 AM 1/19/97 -0500, Nathan Soward wrote:
>

> >Kim I see that it cost a thousand dollars per year to belong to the
> >club. Why?  It appears to me also that any address space obtained cost
> >money or have I miss read something? Since money is being charged a
> >court some where may not agree with the current justifications.
> >

> Of course, there are always going to be people who may not agree with
> the fee policy, regardless of the fee schedule. In fact, there will
> most likely be dissenters who vehemently object to any fee whatsoever,
> but this doesn't solve the problem of funding an IP Address allocation
> registry which can continue to operate effectively.
>
> No magic here. What exactly is your point?
>
> - paul
My point is why should it cost so much to belong?  Paul you seem to have
an understanding of the costs involved here.  Could you share with me
how much money would be generated per year at the proposed level and the
current number of addresses allocated.  Maybe I have nothing to talk
about.  At the current pricing for Name Service $100.00 X 80,000 (domain
names per month MSNBC) per month equals $8,000,000 per month times 12
months equal $96,000,000 per year how much money does it take to fund
one of these things?

Nathan