Reject the NAIPR

Brett L. Hawn blh at nol.net
Sat Jan 18 21:33:36 EST 1997

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> How convenient that you left out the portion of the original
> exchange to which my 'conspiracy' reply was aimed:
>
> >Welcome to the Corporate Government you wall read about in the Cyberpunk
> >novles 10 years ago.

And how convient of you not to point out that the large portion of the folks
supporing ARIN stand to make _a LOT_ of money by forcing everyone to
continue using IPv4.

> Now, with regards to 'Economics 101', I'd tend to not dismiss your
> argument with gleeful abandon if we were actually discussing the
> possibility of IP addresses being bought & sold on the open market,
> but we're not talking about that at all. We're discussing how to
> fund a not-for-profit registry through billing direct customers
> for registration services  & how it is actually going to work.

We're talking about prices based on what? Actual data? Real life discussion
with the folks who make their living with IP space? Or did we just pull
prices out of our ass and throw them on a web page? A good economist would
have done quite a bit more research before throwing something that pathetic
and disrespectful up and saying 'here it is, live with it'.

> Certainly there are certain laws of economics at work here, but
> I do not believe there are some insidious, underlying penalties
> that are going to starve off all small Internet service providers.

Let me give you the comment I gave several other people who emailed me
privately:

You must be one of those folks I thought didn't exist, we call them
optomists. The reality of the situation is, in my opinion, that those 'fat
cats' I spoke of will simply abuse this and use it as a way to generate even
more profit. Folks like sprint, MCI, Agis, netcom, etc, they're here for one
reason, and one reason only, and thats to make money. Any excuse they can
use to make more money.. they'll use. I've not been around as long as many
of the folks around her, but I've been around long enough to watch how the
big providers will screw you without a second thought. Any philanthropic
dreams you may have, you can keep, but don't you believe for a second that
it won't be abused.

[-]                Brett L. Hawn (blh @ nol dot net)                       [-]
[-]                Networks On-Line - Houston, Texas                       [-]
[-]                           713-467-7100                                 [-]