Advice on Dues and Fees

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at GREENDRAGON.COM
Sat Jan 18 19:39:23 EST 1997

> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 97 06:04 PST
> From: randy at psg.com (Randy Bush)
> Let's make the unexpected leap of faith that the ARIN numbers were based
> on someone running the numbers and coming out with a scale that met, to
> the best of the their abilities, the stewardship, service, and non-profit
> goals we think the ARIN should have.  Then a scale which does not maintain
> the bottom line may not work.  So maintaining the endpoint while changing
> the slope may not work, and you need to think about the integral.

I have, Randy, and looked at the numbers available.  Unfortunately, we
do not have the actual budget.  But we know how many registrations occur.

One advantage we have is that NRI has promised to make up any shortfall
until the fees stabilize.  Therefore, we are not totally dependent on
getting it right the first time.

There is no scaling in the ARIN proposal below /18, and then /24 is
explicitly stated as $2,500.  This makes no sense, as there are many
intermediate prefixes.  It is confusing other posters to this list.

So, rather than the abundant FUD on this list, I was and am trying to
explore constructive, tangible, proposals for alternatives.

IMnsHO, all the numbers are much too high for a realistic budget, and a
major surplus will result.  But I scaled it both as if the ARIN numbers
were correct, and as if they could be lower.

Then we can look at the alternatives and make a choice.  It is _our_
choice.

If you do not want to explore alternatives, then please stop adding to
the FUD.

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com