Reject the NAIPR

Jeremiah Kristal jeremiah at CORP.IDT.NET
Sat Jan 18 16:30:30 EST 1997

Once more, and maybe this should be explained on the ARIN homepage.

The costs are very reasonable for the small provider who properly uses his
assigned address space.  Since it is almost impossible to get a new
allocation smaller than a /19 routed across the internet, since certain
large providers will not accept the announcments, small providers will get
their IP address blocks from their upstream provider.
Assuming that the upstream provider has a /16, which pay $5000 for, the
cost per /24 comes out to under $19.55.  Even if the upstream provider
only has a /19, which is the smallest globally routable block, the per /24
cost is only $78.13.  These costs are not excessive!  Any ISP that can't
afford $80 yearly is running on a very, very thin margin.

Please people, do the math, learn about CIDR, and set aside the 2 cents a
day that a /24 will cost from a provider with a /16.

Jeremiah
who has only answered this same question about 10 times today.

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Linda Emmele wrote:

> I am interested in this only as a small business owner who cannot afford to stay on the Internet if costs increase.  I cannot understand how an upstream provider would not pass through these charges, who would then pass them on to me.
> Linda Emmele

      ________
      \______/                  Jeremiah Kristal
       \____/                   Senior Network Integrator
        \__/                    IDT Internet Services
         \/                     jeremiah at hq.idt.net
                                201-928-4454