ARIN Comments

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Wed Feb 26 16:01:13 EST 1997

On Wednesday, February 26, 1997 1:37 PM, Jerry Scharf[SMTP:scharf at VIX.COM] wrote:
@ jims at CYBERPARK.COM said:
@ > I believe in creating a registry for each state. However, I don't
@ > agree with the process mentioned below of letting the Senator's and
@ > Governor's decide who will  handle the tasks. The less the government
@ > is involved the better. Exactly how the companies are decided, well
@ > that could be opened for discussion. The idea of having political
@ > figures decide leads me to believe special interest would soon take
@ > control of a number states, which in turn could harm the entire
@ > process. That is just my opinion.
@
@ Ask the people who did the state by state DNS stuff under .us what their
@ successes and problems were before you wish that on an IP registry. I don't
@ think the state zone management would be considered an unqualified success by
@ anyone. I know Bill Manning has some strong opinions born out of running .us.
@

Oh...please do not get me started...

@ I think is is fair to say that getting people who know how to do the job is
@ more important than the number of registries. How would you grade people's
@ ability to run a registry to qualify them?
@

I would start with the people who have already made
significant progress on the other aspects of the InterNIC.
That focus has been mostly on domain name registrations.

I would look for people with a combination of registry
experience in many areas.

You might be surprised that when serious plans are
made, only serious people survive...one thing I learned
in the TLD registry debates was that people would step
forward and say, I would like to do that, rather than
flame them...it was better to say, OK...and then
educate them....some survived and some did not...

I know one young person who has survived a lot
in California...:-)...and he is still there and growing...

I know another one that has survived a lot in Seattle
and he is still alive and surviving...:-)

I know another, and another, and another...

I believe they are all ready to eat the InterNIC's lunch...!!!

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation

e-mail: