Invisible Hands, was Re: Multihoming sites and ARIN

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Sat Feb 22 18:50:05 EST 1997

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:

> The IPv4 address space is actually quite large. This nonsense
> about it being exhausted is bogus and promoted largely by people
> who are sitting on huge allocations.

Knowing your American-centric attitude, this statement does not surprise
me. But since the IPv4 address space is a global public resource and since
large parts of the world have only just started to deploy Internet
connectivity on the same scale as in the USA, your argument is bogus.
If the IPv4 address space was only for use in the USA, then it is probably
big enough. But when you look at the projected use of IPv4 addresses in
Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa and South America, it starts to look a
LOT more constrained. And the best strategy we have to deal with potential
shortages of IPv4 addresses is to allocate frugally right now.

> You have a voice....GO TO YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS...!!!!

You don't really want that Jim. Because if *I* go to *MY* elected
officials then all of this stuff ends up on the table at GATT negotiations
in Geneva. Believe me, neither you nor I want to see it end up like this.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049