Multihoming sites and ARIN

Randy Bush randy at PSG.COM
Fri Feb 21 14:01:00 EST 1997

> The creation of markets for IP space and routing slots obviates the need
> for ARIN as a policy body for allocation (i.e., the market does the
> allocation)

There are markets and there are markets.  Our culture saw enough radically
unfair ones that it chose to make masses of regulation.  Not saying that is
good or bad, just history.  And history is something we seem embarrassingly
prone to repeat.

I suspect that the smaller players might be wary of a completely 'free'
market for address space or routing, as the larger players are the ones who
can afford to buy it all.

And the larger players might be wary of a purely 'democratic' policy body
where the mass of small players would greatly outweigh them.

Interesting times.

randy