Renumbering and the '96 Telecom Act

Larry Honig lonewolf at DRIVEWAY1.COM
Tue Feb 18 08:27:22 EST 1997

Stephen Satchell wrote:

> This is more a telephony issue, and belongs in comp.dcom.telecom>
> The existing telephone system converts the seven-digit number to an
> equipment address, and that equipment address is used by the switch to
> locate your pair.  This is why you can move in-town and get service
> almost instantly, even though there was no physical re-wiring at the
> frame.

I understand the differences between 7-digit phone numbers and IPv4
addresses. My question is a little deeper. I am NOT concerned about an
individual at the /24 end of the tree who changes providers, NICs, etc,
having to change an IP reference he/she may have inadvertently or
ignorantly published instead of a DNS name. I am asking about the
situation where an ISP decides to re-home or multi-home, and the implied
latency in propagating any IP changes related to this decision to the
world of DNS servers out there (some of which, IMHO *NEVER* pci up the
new reference ;-| ). I know (I think) that there is no present binding
authority in the '96 Act which mandates anything pertaining to this
*under present interpretations*. But...