Cost per route

Paul Ferguson pferguso at CISCO.COM
Thu Feb 6 07:04:50 EST 1997

At 11:28 AM 2/6/97 +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

>Notice that I was careful to talk about the number of destinations behind
>the route, rather than the length of the prefix.  A /8 prefix with 10
>hosts behind it costs the same as a /28 prefix with the same 10 hosts
>behind it, and has the same benefits.

There's an important distinction subtly hidden here. Carrying & advertizing
a shorter prefix most likely provides reachability for more end-point
destinations, which in turn results in more traffic transiting the
advertisement path towards the destination.

As Alan suggested, this is a key argument for PIARA proponents, in that
advertizing a shorter prefix = advertizing more end-stations = more traffic.

- paul