LET'S JUST GO AROUND

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Wed Feb 5 18:44:40 EST 1997

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU wrote:

> Umm.. we need an RFC2026 expert here.  RFC2050 is flagged as 'BCP',
> and only references 1814 in the 'references' section.  RFC1814 is
> itself tagged as "Informational".
>
> As best I can figure, this means that 1814 is *not* binding in any way

No RFC's are binding. Some of them are a means of publishing how things
are done, some are documents that reflect Best Current Practices within
the Internet community, and some are considered Standards. You can ignore
them if you wish but since they do reflect various levels of community
consensus you will find that people won't co-operate with you. That's not
exactly "binding" though.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049