AOP Notification

Paul Ferguson pferguso at CISCO.COM
Sat Feb 1 22:48:52 EST 1997

Mr. McClure,

Since I did not see the original message from Scott Bradner to
this individual come across the list (of course, I may have
missed it, since I've been traveling for the past couple of
weeks), it would imply that you forwarded a private note to
a public forum, which shows a great deal of unprofessionalism.

Also, your assertion that while the members of the initial
Board of Trustees do not directly represent the ISP community,
I would assert that they are wholly competent & knowledgeable
to represent the interests of the Internet community at-large.
They certainly have more-than-adequate historical, technical
and practical experience to do so, and your snide comments
below come off as insulting, to say the least. Nonetheless,
without calling one another silly names, I believe that your
note is a fine example of how you do not completely grasp
the complexities of running a registry, the technical
significance of the registries' impact, nor the professional
and personal commitments these folks have made to the
Internet community.

One might suggest that your continued persistence to
forward messages without significant contributions, to
include viable alternatives, would allow others on this
list to dismiss you as a troublemaker, not a problem solver.

- paul

At 10:12 PM 2/1/97 -0500, Dave McClure wrote:

>We are faced with a situation in which a small number of self-appointed
Internauts -- most of whom do not appear to be major ISPs, and who
represent only an insignificant percentage of the people involved in public
Internet Services -- are attempting to force a proposal which would hijack
and hand absolute control of North American IP addresses to an unknown,
intractable organization which will has no authority to begin with, will
have no responsibility to the Internet industry and will not be monitored
by anyone.