Global council of registries???

Philip J. Nesser II pjnesser at MARTIGNY.AI.MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 28 21:03:46 EDT 1997

Jim Fleming supposedly said:

> On Monday, April 28, 1997 2:26 PM, Philip J. Nesser II[SMTP:pjnesser at martigny.ai.mit.edu] wrote:
> @ Jim Fleming supposedly said:
> <snip>
> @ >
> @ > If this includes the creation of many new companies
> @ > in the Registry Industry to handle all aspects of
> @ > Internet Resource allocation, I assume that you
> @ > will not mind. After all, you more or less said they
> @ > are on their own and will get no help from you.
> @
> @ This is where we once again disagree.  I do not believe that an industry is
> @ needed for these services and since I believe that such an industry will
> @ only do two things:  endanger the stability of the Interent infrastructure
> @ and drive up costs, I will oppose the creation of such a false industry
> @ since it does not create any gain except for a few while delivering no
> @ better service to the public.  In my mind it is no more than an attempt to
> @ tax the Internet to line the pockets of a few.
> @
>

> By your logic there is no need for ARIN.
>
> Why would people create a "false" company
> which exists primarily to collect dues and other
> fees to pay a couple of people to jet set around
> the world on exotic vacations and unlimited
> expense accounts ?

To create stability in IP address assignments.  Fragmenting such a task
does not create a better system.  I don't believe IP addresses are a
commodity to be sold, so the traditional free market concepts of
competition are not applicable.  (ie competition to lower prices and
increase service.)  I know you believe that the registries exist only to
provide free vacations to people but I have attended numerous conferences
over the years and the IETF & NANOG bring together some of the hardest
working people who work their butts off for the length of the conference.
Every other conference I have gone too most people goof off during the
evenings (not to mention many who skip out on the conference themselves.)
Managing issues on the *global* Internet sometimes requires face to face
meetings and that amzingly enough requires travel to other parts of the
globe sometime.  ARIN at least proposes to have their books open and is
member driven.  I guess you don't believe that the members would regulate
anything that was not within normal contraints.

> Why not just allow the IP allocation duties to
> get picked up across the distributed Registry
> Industry that is already growing ? Centralized

I hear the new home construction business is growing, why not just let them
handle it?  Why should the "distributed Registry Industry" (most of whom
will be out of business in a few years at most) have any special privilege
to this function?

> solutions leave the door open for corruption and
> clearly have not resulted in any special solutions.

Once again what corruption?  Likewise, where has the current system broken
down or been bad.  This list is about solutions (as interesting as the
flame wars can get at times (or as boring)) and specific problem area turn
into areas to focus on for improvement.

> The same people are behind ARIN. Why will
> the solutions be any different ?

ARIN is being spun off to be run by the members.  I suppose from your
statements you believe there will be some behind the scenes control that
isn't obvious so things can't change.  I disagree.

--->  Phil