[Iana-transition] What form of supervision is needed?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 17 15:25:05 EDT 2014

On Oct 17, 2014, at 11:51 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Normally I'd agree with you, Andrew.
>
> But ICANN is working behind the scenes to solidify their position.  For example, I'm told
> that they want ownership of the IANA trademark and website in perpetuity, in writing
> from the IETF.  ...

David - Is there a document to this effect somewhere that we can reference?

> I think now is the appropriate time to act, while the IANA transition plans are on
> the table.

To be clear, are you advocating that the RIRs obtain clarity in their
right to contract for IANA services for the delegated number spaces,
or that they both obtain such clarity and then perform those services
directly rather than contracting for such?

> As for the logistics, we have CEOs and staffs paid hundreds of thousands of dollars
> each year to do that.  And lots of lawyers.   Stand something up now, fix it as we go
> along as best we can.

That is correct, i.e. if community direction is clear, then making all of
that happen is something that becomes part of ARIN's plan, and we get it
done.  Note that I am presently participating in the planning discussions
for the transition of the stewardship of IANA functions, so as to encourage
responsible oversight of critical Internet resources and to help clarify
ICANN’s role in administration of Internet number resources. Given that
direction from the ARIN Board (and in the Strategic Plan), I have been
working on solidifying existing roles (i.e. ICANN as IANA Operator) but
that can be changed if the community comes to consensus on a different
trajectory.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran