[Iana-transition] ICG RFP sections 0, I, and II

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 16 00:15:57 EDT 2014

Jason -

    Excellent post and thank you for starting the discussion.  I am available
    to support efforts as needed, and will post the survey results once it has
    been completed.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

On Oct 15, 2014, at 6:42 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com<mailto:jschiller at google.com>> wrote:

I wanted to start some discussion while we wait for the survey results.  I think it is worth posting the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) RFP in case not everyone is aware of it.

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rfp-iana-stewardship-03sep14-en.pdf

I think it is reasonable to conclude that our community should only be responding to concerns in the "Numbers" space, and any other concerns should be brought to the attention of the appropriate community (IETF for protocols and ports or ICANN for names and DNS) for consideration.

I also think it is reasonable to conclude that sections I. "Description of Community’s Use of IANA Functions" and II. "Existing, Pre-Transition Arrangements" are simply reporting facts as they currently are.  Assuming that is the case I would recommend ARIN staff (or the NRO if other regions also support this conclusion) provide preliminary answers to these sections, with our community validating the responses.

I would like to ask this community if they agree with this assessment, or if there are any objections to referring sections I and II out to staff, and closing out section 0. by checking the "Numbers" box.

Then we can focus on the remaining sections which will need community discussion.

___Jason