[Iana-transition] Scope of work

Sweeting, John john.sweeting at twcable.com
Fri Nov 14 11:42:27 EST 2014

Yes, that helps. Thanks.

On 11/13/14, 5:14 PM, "Jason Schiller" <jschiller at google.com<mailto:jschiller at google.com>> wrote:

John,

You asked me to elaborate on what I meant by "pulling back the IANA function" and "membership"

So right now NTIA has some ability to threaten to break, or actually break the contract for the IANA function, and award that to another organization.  I assume the decision to (threaten to) break the contract for the IANA service (or break the MoU or whatever legal document we have) would rest with someone or some body using some process.  We need to sort out what body or person has that power, what is the process followed, and to what extend does the ARIN membership (and the memberships of the other RIRs) have input and or oversight into that process.

Generally yes I mean "community" but when it comes to governance issues we have a history of using ARIN membership not ARIN community.  As such I said membership to vaguely mean the ARIN membership (particular to this region's input) and the input of the members of the other 4 regions.

Does that clarify it?

Thanks for your service on the CRISP team,

__Jason

3. How pulling back the IANA function should work post NTIA transition, and what membership oversight there is for it, is completely new ground.  I'd argue for CRISP to provide some slides as a starting point for discussion. Maybe slides in a weeks time, and assess where the discussion is 10 days after that?

Not sure what you mean by “pulling back” and not sure what membership you are talking about? Or do you just mean “community oversight” ? Please elaborate