[Iana-transition] RIPE slide deck on the matter.

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Nov 12 20:18:27 EST 2014

On 11/12/14, 16:55 , Bill Woodcock wrote:
> Worth reading:
>
> https://ripe69.ripe.net/presentations/139-IANA-CoopWG-RIPE69.pdf
>
> Thanks, Michael, for pointing out that link.  Note that RIPE have selected Nurani Nimpuno (NetNod, previously APNIC), Andrei Robachevsky (ISOC, previously RIPE), and Paul Rendek (RIPE) as their CRISP team members.
>
> Jason, David, how well do you think RIPE’s slides 12-13 match what you’re looking for?

Bill,

I don't think I'm the David you were asking, but I'll comment any way. :)

The only thing I would add to slides 12-14 is a framework for future
changes, maybe based on the current CRISP/ICG Model.  The point being on
fairly short notice we had to spin up a process to put together a
proposal for NTIA Oversight Transition.  It would be rather naive to
think there won't be additional future change of comparable scope that
would necessitate similar community actions, maybe in another 5 or 10
years, who knows.

I won't even speculate on what might necessitate or drive such a change,
but having an agreed upon framework and knowing who is empowered to
trigger it, would seem like prudent precautions.  If such a framework
had already existed many months may have been eliminated from the
current process.  I'm calling for a framework, because I would not want
to tie our own future hands, but prepare our future selves with tools,
leaving the choice of the appropriate tool to when the need arises.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952