[General-members] ARIN Customer Count and Average Revenue Trend (was: Re: Consultation on Approaches for Adjusting the ARIN Registration Services Plan Fee Schedule)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 12 11:42:16 EDT 2024

On Apr 3, 2024, at 5:58 PM, Owen DeLong via General-members <general-members at arin.net> wrote:

I don’t know what the average ARIN price increase per year has been over the last 20+ years, and it might be useful if ARIN were able to produce some statistics on the matter.

I realize this is a somewhat complex question because ARIN has repeatedly rejiggered how fees are computed as well as the price per unit (including changes to what constitutes a “unit” for pricing).

Nonetheless, since ARIN knows every member’s billing history, it ought to be possible for ARIN to do some level of historic analysis of the average price per /<median> paid by all registrants and then compute the average price increase per year from that.

Owen –

I did not forget about your request for additional information – but rather, as you note, it is a somewhat complicated question that took a bit of effort to extract properly.

We were able to do this for 2002 through 2022 (the fee restructure of 2023 is a tad more complex and still being looked at…)

So, attached is the ARIN customer count (i.e. all paying customers, including RSA/LRSA and AS holders) from 2002 to 2022, and the average revenue per customer in that period.

I will also note that the services provided to customers over that period have increased substantially (although that’s not something that’s really reducible to a chartable data series, and hence not reflected below.)

I hope you find this information helpful!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers

p.s.  Owen posted the query to general-members, but I am following up to both general-members and arin-consult as the information may be germane to the current open consolation regarding approaches for adjustment of fees.   Please continue the discussion just on the arin-consult mailing list given the existing open consultation taking place there - Thanks! /John

[ARIN Customer Count and Average Revenue .png]