[General-members] Voting Now Open for the 2023 ARIN Elections

Paul Andersen paul at egate.net
Thu Oct 19 19:26:22 EDT 2023

John as always is being a diplomat; however, feel free to blame me and my tenure as Board Chair.

During that time there were several wholesale review of what functions and services were core to ARIN and should be kept in house and what may be better to use an external provider. ARIN staff generally, based on historical board direction, avoided any contract with a third party whose service was not IPv6 compliant.

While a nice philosophy the reality is ARIN is not a massive organization with lots of buying power in all cases. This meant that there were vendors that had vastly superior solutions in all other areas but could not be engaged because of this.  That diverted precious funds and resources away from other activities.

As John notes below staff were always strongly encouraging vendors to support IPv6 and would make it part of their decision process; however, it was not to be a deal breaker. I think the resources saved were better used for ARIN’s other IPv6 outreach efforts.

Paul