[General-members] Consultation on Expanding 2FA Options for ARIN Online
info at arin.net
Tue Jan 24 13:53:17 EST 2023
On 1 November 2022, ARIN announced that we will require two-factor authentication (2FA) on all ARIN Online accounts beginning 1 February 2023. ARIN currently has three options for customers to set up 2FA on their ARIN Online accounts:
- Time-based One-time Password (TOTP) using an authenticator of your choice
- Short Message Service (SMS) for customers within the ARIN service region
- FIDO2/Passkey-enabled Security Key
Please note: Voice 2FA is not currently available for new 2FA activations; it is still available to those customers who already have that method set up on their accounts.
Following the announcement of the planned enforcement date of 1 February 2023, we received several suggestions for further expansion of our authentication offerings, including:
- Allowing email as an authentication method
- Enabling SMS support for customers who reside outside of the ARIN service region
- Allowing registration of multiple hardware security keys.
We are seeking community feedback on these suggestions as well as additional input on our 2FA options. Specifically:
1. Would you support ARIN offering email as an additional 2FA method?
2. Given that 13% of web user accounts list phone numbers outside the ARIN service region, should we widen the availability of SMS, or are the other offered 2FA options sufficient to meet the needs of these users?
3. We agree that users should be allowed to register multiple hardware security keys. The question is: What is the optimal number of keys that should be allowed to be registered?
The feedback you provide during this consultation will help us decide the path forward regarding our 2FA options for ARIN Online. Thank you for your participation in the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process.
Please provide comments to arin-consult at arin.net. You can subscribe to this mailing list at: https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-consult
This consultation will remain open through 5:00 PM ET on 7 February 2023.
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
Two-Factor Authentication at ARIN: https://arin.net/2FA
More information about the General-members