[dbwg] ORG POC Enforcement Solution

IP Admin ipadmin at qwest.com
Tue May 6 19:19:14 EDT 2003

DBWG,

Upon re-reading my email below, allow me to add some additional details to
my request:

1) Last August 2002, ARIN introduced the concept of "ORG ID" and created
several thousand incomplete ORG IDs out of the old Maintainer IDs.  These
are the troublesome ORG IDs, because all of the new ORG IDs created
post-August 2002 via REASSIGN and REALLOCATE are already populated with ORG
POCs from within these swips.
2) After ARIN's recent meeting this Spring 2003, ARIN wants to populate all
ORG IDs with Admin/Tech POCs.
3) ARIN has put this onus on the ISP's as of May 1, 2003.
4) Two ways to POCulate these matchbox ORG IDs are:
	a) ask ARIN to send us an enormous list of ORG IDs needing POCs that
are downstream to each ISP.  This solution will require herculean efforts to
clean up by the ISP, and it will either require thousands of hand-built
swips or it will be expensive to design an automated solution.  Neither
option here is preferable.
	b) ask ARIN to use the ORG POC information from our swips to fill in
the gaps in an incomplete or empty ORG ID.
		i)   if the ORG ID contains both POCs, there is no issue,
the swip is not failed.
		ii)  if the ORG ID contains only one POC or none of the
POCs, use the ORG POC information for one or both POCs.
		iii) pre-existing POCs will remain untouched and will not be
overwritten.

I think that 4b) above is the preferred solution:
	- it brings the matchbox ORG IDs into alignment with the new ORG IDs
created post-August 2002
	- it requires absolutely no new automation from the ISPs who already
automate the swips
	- it satisfies the intention of the ISP to correctly and completely
populate the ORG IDs under its jurisdiction
	- it simplifes ARIN's initiative to verify POC info on all ORG IDs;
ARIN benefits from reviewing POC info that has already passed through the
verification processes from the ISPs.

I know that the ARIN database is not designed for 4b) today but I wanted to
place this request with ARIN in the hopes that it can be implemented soon.

Again, I am certain that my question has been asked and answered, so if
there is a thread on ARIN's databases somewhere, please send it along
because I cannot find it.  I invite everyone to send feedback, hopefully no
flames.

However, we maintain that it is the intention of the ISP who submits
downstream REASSIGN and REALLOCATE to populate pre-existing ORG IDs with the
ORG POCs from within these swips.

Thank you,
John Mazzella
Qwest IP Group