[dbwg] WHOIS Change Announcement

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Tue Jun 24 13:40:58 EDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Dave Diller wrote:

> > ReferralServer: rwhois://192.0.2.11:4321/
> > ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.arin.net:4321/
> > ReferralServer: rwhois.example.net:4321
> > ReferralServer: rwhois://whois.example.com:43/
>

> Hey Ginny,
>
> How will output on a netblock appear?  Will this appear as "OrgReferralServer"
> in much the same way that an AbuseHandle for the ORG shows up an an
> OrgAbuseHandle?  This would seem to be the simplest way, even though it
> effectively highlights Wm's point about having a ReferralServer listed on a
> block that may not be using RWHOIS (non-issue for me)

Since the Referral Server is an attribute of the Org, it will be include
as part of the Org display. We have added another blank line to help it
stand out. As an example:

OrgName:    Example, Inc.
OrgID:      EXAMPLE
Address:    123 Main Street
City:       Chantilly
StateProv:  VA
PostalCode: 20152
Country:    US
Comment:
RegDate:    1998-04-03
Updated:    2002-11-05

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.example.net:4321/

If there is a ReferralServer, it will be displayed on org, net and AS
queries.

[...]

> Also, I assume you will also be manually removing the 'legacy' comments on
> netblocks like the below, once implementation is complete?
>
> Comment:    Reassignment information for this block can be found at
> Comment:    rwhois.cogentco.com 4321

We decided to not remove the Comments. You can either submit a template
with 'Public Comments: NONE' or if the comments are on many records,
submit an ad hoc request to hostmaster to remove them.

Ginny