[dbwg] ReferralServer and ASNs

Dave Diller ddiller at cogentco.com
Tue Aug 19 12:00:02 EDT 2003

william at elan.net wrote:
>   I've noticed that since introduction of ReferralServer as atribute of
> the ORG, number of ASNs also return ReferralServer as part of the output,
> for example:

> [william at sokol william]$ whois 16631 at whois.arin.net

No, we definitely don't have anything implementable for ASN info here, and
you're right, I doubt the schema exists currently. ASNs aren't hierarchical
like IP blocks so there would be no point to a referral type system.

I suspect that, since the tag is attached to the ORG itself, that it displays
as part of the 'standard dump' that whois returns when a query is run.  IE ask
for info on a bit of data and it pulls the ORG info followed by the specifics
of the query.  ReferralServer is simply included as part of the normal "return
this when asked about something belonging to a particular ORG".  Most likely
*ANY* ORG with a ReferralServer will return it when the ASN is queried.

>   I'm thinking its not exactly a bad idea to allow ISPs to display information
> about its ASN and its routing policies (i.e. like route server entry but
> on the ISP side, rather then directly at radb), but I have reservations
> about if rwhois can be used for this (and we do have standard RPSL for
> such routing database and in fact several large ISPs do have their own
> routedb servers).

Even if some "routing policy" features were implemented in rwhois, I seriously
doubt we'd ever use them.  There are enough other implementations out there
that are more or less complete that I don't see the need to try and incorporate
it into RWHOIS.  Neat idea, lot of work, and no real benefit since the
functionality already exists in numerous places.

 > What do others think should be done in regards to ReferralServer and ASN?

I don't know what's involved backend in filtering out which fields to send in
response to a particular type of query (block vs ASN) but I'm not really
bothered by it being there, personally.  My ORG uses RWHOIS so that flag might
as well show up as often as possible upon a query :-)

-dd