[dbwg] Referral URL - can this be extended to APNIC, RIPE blocks?

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Aug 4 22:36:54 EDT 2003

I have a suggestion that "Referral URL" be also added for APNIC and RIPE ip
blocks referrals from ARIN database (especially blocks being transfered
as part of early registration transfer project). I know ARIN has all
referral urls start with "rwhois://..." but in this case I believe it
should also make an exception and put "whois://whois.apnic.net:43" for
apnic for example.

If the above is not done, could you at the very least add typical "search
at whois.apnic.net" in the comments and not just leave the ip block with
no comments and with just "NetType: Early Registrations, Transferred to APNIC"

And on the last - ARIN should have reported on this mailing list that it
would be adding new "NetType" - some automated software actually have
been programmed for "Direct Allocation", "Direct Assignment", "Reassigned",
"Reallocated" as only possible nettypes (there is also "IANA Special Use"
and "IANA  Reserved"), but ARIN seems to be using it as just additional
varchar comment field. Besides that, there is already exists special
nettype for APNIC ip blocks ("Allocated to APNIC" ) and this was not used
either and instead new ip block type was created. In fact - it would be
good idea that arin listed all possible "NetType" values somewhere...

--
William Leibzon
william at elan.net