New Whois Display Format

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Tue Mar 12 16:28:26 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Mark Kosters wrote:

> Hi Ginny
>
> Thanks for doing this. I'm glad to see whois being improved on.
> I do have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there going to be support for a IPv6 object?

Yes.  Although we haven't outlined an example, IPv6 objects will be
displayed in a similar fashion as IPv4 objects.

> 2) Will there be support for query wildcards?

The initial release will support the "magic" characters you speak of
below. We will consider any enhancements recommended by the membership
that will improve the usefulness of Whois.

> 3) Do we really want to keep on using the magic characters "!", "*", ".", and
>    "@"? The only one that has caught on is "!".

We can do some analysis as to how frequently these characters have been
used.  However, we will be making improvements that should increase their
usefulness.  For example, ARIN currently does not have the ability to show
parentage (* flag).  The new version will.

> 4) Should we have keywords for format displays?

I'm not sure if I understand the question.  The initial has = for default
and SUM for list display.  Other formats are out of scope for this
release.