netnames, logic, cust net updates

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Thu Jul 25 09:45:50 EDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Einar Bohlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the new templates netnames will no longer need to
> be unique.  Are they then required?  Can we put
> "customer-net" on each and every reassignment we do?

The purpose of this field is to allow you to specify a secondary
identifier, e.g., one that you might use for internal tracking, to
facilitate whois queries. If you use the same identifier, it will make it
difficult to query by netname, but there is nothing preventing you from
doing this.

> The following is pretty rare, but can one of our
> downstreams still reassign an entire reallocation?  I
> mean if we reallocate a /23, can they reallocate or
> reassign the /23?  What eliminates the confusion
> that might occur with the networks only being
> described by the net range?

ARIN will still allow the full reassignment of a network block. There will
be a 'Parent Handle' displayed in WHOIS that will provide the necessary
clarification.

> By the way, we plan to do this:
>
> reallocate to downstream ISPs
> reassign-detailed to some customers
> reassign simple to many customers
> and
> netmod to delete all three of the above.
>
> Is this going to work for assigning nets and getting
> them back?  I'll beta this, but am I on the right
> track here for coding purposes?

Yes, it should work this way. You can use a netmod to remove all
reassignments, but can not delete a reallocate or reassign-detailed with a
reassign-simple template.

> We currently have customer nets with one contact.
> Often our customers want us to update that contact to
> a new one.  Can we do this with the new templates?
> How?  Example, if I reallocate a /22 to
> a downstream and in the process create an org, and an
> org poc, and the org poc is wrong, will I as the
> upstream be able to replace the org poc on the org?

When reallocating a network block, you are suppose to provide different
POCs, thereby delegating responsibility for that network to someone else
and, therefore the downstream is suppose to manage that information. Since
only the Admin is authorized to change POCs on the org, it would mean you
would have to be the Admin to do this. However, if you want to change the
POCs on the resources, you could establish yourself as an alternate Tech
contact on the org.

I suggest that if you plan to do something like this, that you establish
the downstream org prior to submitting the reallocate template. Then on
the reallocate template you should only provide the Org ID.

Ginny Listman
Director of Engineering
ARIN