Lame Delegations

Jim Fleming jfleming at anet.com
Wed Jan 16 14:15:59 EST 2002

In my opinion, the entire "ARIN task" and the "IANA task"
could be easily automated by some PHP and MySQL programmers.
It is a simple allocation and deallocation problem. More automation
would encourage the "customers" to make sure they use their allocation,
because they would realize that automated systems, with the source
code viewable in public, have policies built in for auto-reclamation.
A forum of open-source programmers could be adding to that code
base.

ARIN has millions of dollars in "cash reserves". The non-profit ARIN
now out-sources the operation of the IN-ADDR.ARPA zone to
for-profit companies. Has ARIN disclosed the details of those contracts ?
Why does it take such large staffs to perform the "ARIN task" and the
"IANA task" (ICANN) ? If ARIN and ICANN do not even operate
any servers, what are all of the fees for ?

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB
http://www.IPv8.info