ARIN Database and Template Transition

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Tue Feb 19 16:18:49 EST 2002

Hello Dawn,

Thank you for taking a close look at the templates and asking
for clarification.  Please see the responses to your questions
in-line, below.

>1) Can the wording change for the lines 2 - 19 on the
>Reassign-detailed to be downstream org....?

In an effort to reduce the length of the labels, the word "Downstream"
was not included in each line of the template (lines 2 - 19).  We can
expand the comment section of the template to more clearly specify
that lines 2 - 19 require information about the downstream organization.

>2) So now we have 4 templates to deal with instead of 1, how does this
>make my life easier?

I believe you are referring to the following four templates:

 # reallocate -- creates a registration record for a downstream ISP
   customer.

 # reassign-detailed -- creates a registration record for a downstream
   end-user customer who will maintain their own in-addr.arpa and POC
   associations.

 # reassign-simple -- creates a registration record for a downstream
   end-user customer who will not maintain their own in-addr.arpa and
   contact information.

 # netmod -- may be used by a downstream customer who has been given
   the authority by their upstream to maintain their own in-addr.arpa
   and/or contact information.

Separate templates were created for reallocations and reassignments to
prevent confusion between the two actions that currently exists with the

single SWIP template.

reassign-detailed and reassign-simple allow the upstream to provide only

the data that is required, as some reassignments do not require POC
and/or in-addr.arpa information different from that of the upstream.

The new netmod template functions much like that of the current netmod
template, but will add the ability of a downstream customer to modify
their contact and in-addr.arpa information, if given prior authorization

by their upstream.

Some upstream providers will choose to use one or two of the template
choices on a regular basis, but will have an option to use any or all
of the templates if needed.

>3) Will all assignments now only be on bit boundaries?

Reassignments to the downstream that are not on the bit boundary will
be accepted.  Either CIDR notation or range will be accepted.

>4) Except for customers who want their own contact POC information
>associated with their WHOIS registration is there any reason to use the
>detailed template?

The reassign-detailed template would be used if there was a need for the

downstream to maintain their own contact or in-addr.arpa information.
If
the downstream does not need to maintain any of this information, the
reassign-simple template may be used.

>5) The templates for detailed assignment and ARIN-REALLOCATE-3.0-200201

>are the exact same templates except for the template heading. Can't
there
>just be one template with a question on is this an assignment or an
>allocation to a "ISP type" customer? This would get rid of one
template.

In gathering requirements for the new database and templates it was made

clear to ARIN that there was a need to eliminate the confusion between
making reassignments and reallocations by separating the templates.

>6) The netmod template is now part of the SWIP process for any customer

>that has an org ID and we need to modify or remove the registration.
>And the other "LONG" forms are only for New templates for customers
that
>need POC information associated with them. The short form is only for
>customers that do not have POC information associated with them.  What
>POC information will be seen on these "shorter" form?

In the case of simple reassignments, the POCs will be whatever is
associated with the upstream's network, either the net-tech POC or the
org-tech POC.

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations

  ftp://ftp.arin.net/pub/new-templates/

The templates incorporate the comments submitted via the DB Working
Group with the efforts of Registration Services and Engineering
Departments.  ARIN is providing these templates well in advance of
the conversion, and is encouraging those ISPs that have auto-generated
SWIPs to revise those scripts, and submit templates as beta tests.

ARIN will solicit beta testers from the community for the new database
and templates.  Participation will be open to all interested parties.
More information about beta testing will soon become available.

Regards,

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations