Handle Generation

Dave Barger dbarger at swbell.net
Wed Apr 17 14:21:15 EDT 2002

 > To make the database more uniform and to completely disassociate handle
 > usage from network and AS names, we would also like to replace existing
 > handles with this new format. How many of you out there are attached to
 > the existing handles? Will changing existing handles be a benefit or a
 > hinderance?

Ginny,

When you say you want to replace existing handles (I assume netnames),
are you referring to netnames  associated only with our ISP allocations
from ARIN, or would you replace netnames for al of our customer
reassignments as well?

I'm in favor of replacing netnames for our allocations received from ARIN, but
not a big fan of replacing netnames for our customer reassignments.  Through
our IP management tools, we are already generating netnames using the
4 octets of the network address, followed by a date format mmddyy.

Dave Barger
SBC Internet