Handle Generation

Louis Lee louie at equinix.com
Mon Apr 8 14:59:29 EDT 2002

Hmm...no other responses so far.  I hope there won't be to much
non-constructive criticism on the suggested implementation after the
change-over.  Anyway....

Ginny Listman <ginny at arin.net> wrote on Thu Jan 31 2002, 11:56:48 EST:
> All future networks will have a handle of
> NET-##-##-##-##<-sequence> where ## represents each of the
> 4 octets for v4 networks or the 8 16-bit hexadecimal pieces
> for v6 networks, of the first IP address.  For both v4 and v6
> networks, the <sequence> will be applied only in  the case of
> duplicates, e.g., in the case of reassignments of the first
> portion of the network.

So it sounds like the "-1" sequence will not be used unless there already
exists a duplicate for that particular first IP address.  If that is the
case, will duplicates created after implementation of the new database all
have sequence numbers beginning with "-2"?  Asked another way, will the
original handle be appended with a "-1" when a duplicate occurs (after
implementation of the new database)?

> To make the database more uniform and to completely disassociate
> handle usage from network and AS names, we would also like to
> replace existing handles with this new format. How many of you
> out there are attached to the existing handles?

Not particularly attached.  The flexibility in the name along
with the addition of the public comment field should be more
than adequate for organizations to use the new database to
show what resource is used for what purpose.

> Will changing existing handles be a benefit or a hinderance?

I am actually welcoming the change of existing handles.  It allows
organizations to better determine how much the public information they want
to provide about their resources.

Other thoughts and comments?

Louie
Louis Lee                             louie at equinix.com
Network Engineer                   office: 650/316-6162
Equinix, Inc.                         fax: 650/316-6903
http://www.equinix.com/