phone types

Mike Lieberman Mike at netwright.net
Wed Dec 27 13:50:28 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Ginny Listman, ARIN wrote:

> As I look at what is currently stored in the phone fields of
> the current
> database, making the above assumption/conversion seems reasonable.  A
> phone number should be a phone number, and not have other
> info stored with
> it.

Why? If extensions are necessary to work one's way through a PBX or a PIN for
a pager, or a web address for a text paging terminal... why is a number
always a number?

When calling during non-business hours, many "numbers" aren't useful with
extra information, such as the proper extension, or after hours contact
options.

Frequently the "POC" is not known as the POC by the company PBX 'operator'
and is certainly not designated as such by the dialing options on the pbx.
While the 'role' remains, people change, different 'desks' get assigned to
the 'role' over the years.

We have found the 'simple' phone number to be of marginal value many times.