phone types

Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet woeber at cc.univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 27 13:12:28 EST 2000

>I'm looking to clean-up the database, and one thing I would like to
>enforce is that phone numbers consist of the following: 01234567890+-()

  That is probably a good idea. Whatever it is, the characterset should be
  uniform across the IP (and routing) registries!

>In the future, if you fill out the phone line with something like:
>1-543.433.8765 (this is my pager)
>what gets store in the database, and displayed in whois:
>(543) 433-8765

  This does not sound like a good idea to me.
  Throwing info away and/or re-writing user-supplied info can get you into
  trouble - unless you know *very* well what you are doing (e.g. by
  looking at very well-defined semantics).

>Well at least for those phone number in the US.  Other country phone
>numbers would be stored as entered.  Just working on uniformity.

  Doesn't sound like a uniform approach to me :-)
  Is there any harm done to any US/CA-based consumers of the data to
  include the +1 ?

>Ginny

  Wilfried.