Request for CLEW Input

Lee Howard lhoward at uu.net
Mon Feb 26 16:11:08 EST 2001

I'd be interested in a list of aggregatable announcements, a la the
Tony Bates CIDR Report, the Weekly Routing Table Report from
pfs at cisco.com, or James Aldridge's http://www.mcvax.org/~jhma/routing/
page.  Simply linking to those pages would be better than nothing, but
I'd really like to see what could be done by someone who gets paid for
it.

I assume ARIN receives a full routing table from several providers,
from which to glean this kind of information.  An essay on what to do
with this information might also helpful.

I would also expect that ARIN has people monitoring many public
mailing lists, for which maybe a digest would be useful.  In particular,
a "Threadspotting" sort of pointer to threads specifically about ARIN
or to which someone at ARIN responded.  Naturally, this would include
the various ARIN lists.

Lists of conferences and events at which ARIN will be represented might
be handy.

Another thing I've been thinking about but haven't suggested (not sure
whether it belongs on CLEW or PPL) is a discussion of IP reclamation.
I'm probably not in favor of forcible reclamation, but it would be
interesting to see what the community thinks about the issues involved
in reclaining unused (or poorly used) IPv4 space.  This could be useful
on CLEW or the member site as a monograph describing why it's a good
idea to return unused space, and maybe an implementation plan on how
to renumber large networks.

I'm not speaking in an official capacity for UUNET, A WorldCom Company.

Lee