members-only website - tix (Re: Request for CLEW Input)

Louis Lee louie at equinix.com
Tue Apr 3 16:20:43 EDT 2001

Barry Skeenes wrote:
> Member Services is discussing what kind of increased
> benefits ARIN can offer its Members. One consideration
> is the reinstatement of a Members-only website for
> providing news, training and other items of interest
> to the Members.
>
> What content would you like to see on this site?

One of the items listed at the ARIN VII presentation for
consideration is status display for open tickets.  Why
not go further and display the content of closed tickets
as well as open ones?  The display of tickets will help
organizations that has a turnover in staff who interfaced
with ARIN.  I think this would help to reduce confusion
over past and current IP or ASN requests.  Organizations
will be reminded of past commitments they have made in
previous requests.

Granted, there are issues with this.  I would not be surprised
if there are comments that ARIN would like to put in the tickets
that are not appropriate for member viewing.  If that is the
case, then the ticket system must be modified to allow ARIN
staff to make these comments in a private ARIN-only field.

Of course, the next enhancement may be to allow members to
update their tickets via this website.  This feature, though,
will probably require a substantial redesign of the website
that I don't think is a good use of ARIN resources.

Louie
Louis Lee                                       louie at equinix.com
Network Engineer                             office: 650/316-6162
Equinix, Inc.                                 pager: 650/940-5435
http://www.equinix.com/                         fax: 650/316-6903