[Arin-whoisrws] ARIN's RESTful Whois Directory Service Available 26 June

Mark Kosters markk at arin.net
Sat Jun 26 11:05:04 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 03:23:57PM -0400, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "...ARIN will continue to
> maintain services for the NICNAME/WHOIS protocol on TCP/43. This is
> achieved by using a proxy service to translate traditional ARIN Whois
> queries into Whois-RWS queries. However,..."
>
> Can we get the source for this proxy code, please?

Ted,

The code used for this particular application is closely tied to the
internal workings of ARIN and would not be of much use externally to
someone who wants to set up a proxy service themselves.

However..

One of the main components that is required in building a service
is the XSLT which performs the transform between the raw XML provided
by Whois-RWS to the legacy format served up in port 43.  The XSLT can be
used to understand the mapping between the new and old formats. We plan on
adding more XSLT examples to the Whois-RWS API documentation beyond the
POC example that exists today.

If this does not address your issue and you believe that ARIN should consider
building a public domain software package for this type of thing, your
suggestion is welcome via the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process
(ACSP) located at https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/ .

Regards,
Mark Kosters
ARIN CTO