[arin-tech-discuss] Preparation guide for RPKI 'surprise' outages (Was: Notice of upcoming maintenance to ARIN’s RPKI infrastructure)

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Jun 22 17:58:22 EDT 2021

Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 10:16:38AM +0000, John Curran:
> On 14 Jun 2021, at 7:48 PM, heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:
> >
> >> ARIN announced an upcoming 'surprise' maintenance in July 2021. Full
> >> details have not yet been disclosed - to make it a real surprise! :-)
> >> I think this RPKI experiment is useful, as it can help ARIN better
> >> understand its role and responsibilities in the ecosystem, which will
> >> help making more informed decisions.
> >
> > I do not like surprises and want to complain about this planned surprise.
> >
> > I do not want to be woken for something for which I could have planned
> > (ASes across the globe utilize this), nor have emergencies be fabricated
> > for me.  Besides just being rude, it would be far more useful to observe
> > the behavior from start to finish, than to react to a failure.
> >
> > I also do not consider it ARIN's prerogative to test how clients react
> > to failure of their pub point.  Every member has the ability to do this
> > themselves, how and where they desire (such as a lab rather than prod.),
> > and on their schedule.  Some likely experience publicaiton points being
> > inaccessible daily.  ARIN's goal should be the near uninterrupted
> > operation of their public facing services.
>
> ARIN will publish additional information closer to the scheduled maintenance.

July approaches, and with it the 4th of July, the Olympics, and folks'
vacations and summer holidays of other countries.  When will the schedule
and the nature of the outage be announced?

I think ARIN has exhausted the window to announce the schedule and should
schedule now for the fall.

> > If ARIN requires a maintenance period, publish that period and adhere to
> > it.  As our customers expect from us, I expect from ARIN.
>
> See above.
>
> > This is no longer a toy.
>
> That is quite correct - and all the more reason to confirm that your systems are configured so that lack of availability results in graceful fallback per best practices.

Which we can do without ARIN's help.