[arin-tech-discuss] AS query

Joe Provo jzp-arin-tech at rsuc.gweep.net
Sat Dec 23 12:00:54 EST 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:23:39PM -0500, Josh Ledford wrote:
> What is the shortest query path to get the AS number of an IP that doesn't
> have it listed as OriginAS?
>
> Example: 34.201.1.1
>
> Others report it as AS14618 but not sure how to query that out based on the
> docs I'm reading with only the IP.
>
> Thank you

Are you seeking the address-use-holder's-intent or actual-use-in-
the-wild? Those are two different questions, and ARIN related data
really only applies to the former. If intent isn't on the WHOIS
record, check the IRR. In this case, the ARIN's node in the IRR
doesn't have an entry but it is in RADB (common case for our
region).

prompt> whois -h rr.arin.net   34.201.1.1
% This is the ARIN Routing Registry.

%ERROR:101: no entries found
%
% No entries found in the selected source(s).

prompt> whois -h whois.radb.net 34.201.1.1
route:      34.192.0.0/12
descr:      Amazon EC2 IAD prefix
origin:     AS14618
mnt-by:     MAINT-AS16509
changed:    noc at amazon.com 20160915  #14:23:20Z
source:     RADB
prompt>

Cheers,

Joe [speaking for myself, as always]

--
Posted from my personal account - see X-Disclaimer header.
Joe Provo / Gweep / Earthling