[arin-tech-discuss] Geo Location

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jun 15 12:00:38 EDT 2015

Hi Jon, and All,

This isn't what he is asking.  He is asking:

"...We want to use geo-location to ensure
 > our customers are routed locally to regional services like google etc
 > rather than routed to the US....."

He cannot change SWIPs for his customers IP addresses.

Clinton,

You can PURCHASE Ipaddress geolocation services from a geolocation
provider like  Ip2location, MaxMind, Tamo Soft and IPligence.  GM
has deep pockets so this should not be a concern... ;-)

These providers maintain an extensive database of physical locations
of where IP addresses are actually in use, rather than the
sometimes-lying SWIP records...

They are global so are not tied to a specific registry.  They
provide APIs so your websites can look at the IP address of an
incoming web request to see where it actually comes from.

They use all kinds of tricks to update their maps, some legal, some
less so.  There are people who have attempted to fudge SWIP data
to hide where they are actually located who have discovered to
their dismay that the commercial geolocation providers know all
about where they actually are! ;-)

As you might imagine for obvious reasons the banking industry is
highly interested in where specific IP addresses are located!!  They
pay these providers quite well to suss that information out!!!

Good luck!

Ted