[arin-tech-discuss] Do you have any doc for Nets payload?

Andy Newton andy at arin.net
Mon Jan 12 17:24:13 EST 2015

On Jan 9, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Zhao, Sean <Sean.Zhao at CenturyLink.com<mailto:Sean.Zhao at CenturyLink.com>> wrote:

Hi, again
                Since I have not got any response. I used http://whois.ote.arin.net/rest/cidr/65.127.10.160/29/more to get the xml from Arin’s RESTful server. I got this <nets>
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='http://whois.arin.net/xsl/website.xsl' ?>
<nets xmlns="http://www.arin.net/whoisrws/core/v1"
xmlns:ns2="http://www.arin.net/whoisrws/rdns/v1"
xmlns:ns3="http://www.arin.net/whoisrws/netref/v2"
termsOfUse=https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.htmlinaccuracyReportUrl="http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml">
<limitExceeded limit="256">false</limitExceeded>
<netRef startAddress="65.127.10.176"
endAddress="65.127.10.183"
name="Q0818-65-127-10-176"
handle="NET-65-127-10-176-1">
http://whois.ote.arin.net/rest/net/NET-65-127-10-176-1
</netRef>
<netRef startAddress="65.127.10.168"
endAddress="65.127.10.175"
name="Q0820-65-127-10-168"
handle="NET-65-127-10-168-1">
http://whois.ote.arin.net/rest/net/NET-65-127-10-168-1
</netRef>
</nets>

Just need to confirm that this is the correct response. The list of netRef can be null if there is no 65.127.10.160/29 in Arin’s DB. Correct? Do I miss any other elements?. Just need to make sure that I won’t get the code crash if there is new element showing up in <nets>. I will appreciate if I can get any response from you.

Sean,

The list will not contain any netRef elements if there are no records matching the query.

However, your program should account for a scenario where new elements may show up. Our XML schema is extensible, and we do add new elements from time to time.  In general, it is good practice to ignore unknown elements and names in both XML and JSON.

The schemas for Whois-RWS can be found here: Whois-RWS Schema (ZIP format)<https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/whoisrws-relaxng-compact-schemas.zip>

I hope this answers your question.

Andy Newton,
Chief Engineer, ARIN