[arin-tech-discuss] SWIP and GeoIP

Drake Pallister drake.pallister at duraserver.com
Mon Oct 14 01:39:46 EDT 2013

Hello There...

Let me toss in my 2 cents about GeoIP.

If that GeoIP service has been contacted and made aware of the issue, but they
have not revised the methods in which they assign a location to an IP number,
then that specific GeoIP service isn't doing what they need to do to correct
their incorrect data.  There are many GeoIP information services, some are
free and some are paid. If one is doing a bad job, then I recommending using
another. Compare it to an automobile repair shop. If one mechanic keeps doing
a substandard job or cheats you, then you find another repair shop who does a
good job and is honest. Some IP end users want their IP(s) to be
geographically correct and some don't care. Some in fact, want "No" Geo info
published about their IP(s), yet others intentionally want incorrect Geo info
to show up. Of course, the IP should at least show what region of the world it
is located in and that is easy enough to do by looking at which RIR
allocated/assigned the IP(s) to what entity and their location. In the case of
an ISP, when distributing IPs to private residences, I don't believe the ISP
should be pursued to contribute any closer to target Geo info than a city or
town for residential IPs. The same would go for businesses. However, let's put
it in writing so to speak, by the end user of the IP number(s) submitting a
checklist to their ISP (their immediate upstream), detailing what depth of
location information they want released. None, Country, State, City, or Exact
Street Address. This will not be practical with Cellular devices 4G/WiMax,
etc. though the cellular provider can usually determine within 10 feet of the
device bound to the IP. However, mobile devices are moving. Ok, maybe another
checklist to the service provider from the device owner (the IP assignee--
most often by dhcp-- unless you have a static IP smart phone) and the depth of
detail permissions checklist (which can of course be electronic and automated)
would in effect work the same as such a Geo Info depth permissions checklist
for land-based endpoints. A cellular carrier would likely want to charge for
real time Geo info, as they do in providing some of their "Track my kid's
location" added features.

Most often all AOL IPs show up as Virginia where AOL is/was located. Some
other IP services are tunneled from elsewhere a hundred or a thousand miles
away. A corporate VPN might even yield you a different country, because a VPN
is a tunnel.

We could compare this GeoIP thing to Telephones and callerID. But then a PRI
circuit can publish any callerID. The most accurate phone number caller ID is
delivered via ANI.

I am just making suggestions and comparisons here because I don't have a
really good answer except that you should look towards the accuracy of your
GeoIP info provider and compare them to other services. Some will be more
accurate and some will target different levels of records (where available)
for providing their customer with the best info that you are paying them for.

If I had the smarts, I might rewrite a backward-compatible version of the IP
protocol or the next higher OSI layer (TCP/UDP protocol) to include a space in
the packet or datagram header that is for GEO to be inserted along with SRC,
DST, TTL, and so on.

But definitely take up your issue with your GeoIP data provider first. Maybe
they're already working on an improvement that they are about to start using.

Best regards,
Drake