[arin-tech-discuss] returned error message when I am trying to create an OrgHandle....

David Huberman dhuberma at arin.net
Wed Feb 6 11:58:20 EST 2013

Hi Ron,

Good question.  I believe the biggest virtue of recipient customer orgs is
to allow the upstream to control all aspects of the objects.  What does
that mean? In the old days of SWIP, before REST, there was no concept of
recipient orgs.  So here's what would happen:

1) You would SWIP a /29 to a customer with a reassign-detailed template.
Three things would happen as a result:
- a POC would be created for the customer
- an OrgID would be created for the customer
- the /29 would be delegated from the ISP to the new OrgID with the new POC

2) The customer eventually discos.  The ISP sends in netmod template and
"R"emoves the /29 reassignment to the OrgID.

3) The POC and the OrgID defining the customer would then sit in ARIN's
Whois in perpetuity, so the contact information was never really scrubbed.
  This was less than ideal for those customers.   I've taken many phone
calls and emails over the years from old customers of ISPs who were very
unhappy their contact information (address, sometimes home address, phone,
sometimes mobile phone) was found in ARIN's Whois for the whole world to
see.

Today, you can:

1) Create a POC
2) Create a recipient ORG
3) Reassign the /29 to the recipient ORG

When the customer disco, you then:

4) Delete the /29
5) Delete the ORG
6) Delete the POC

And it's all done by the RESTful system you're designing so it's all
automated and lightning quick.  As a result, ARIN Whois is much cleaner,
and your former customers don't have all their sensitive contact
information sitting in ARIN's Whois.

I hope I explained that well.  There may be other benefits of recipient
ORGs which I'm not thinking about right now, but which I'm sure someone
will remind me of and I'll share with the list :)

Best,
David

---
David R Huberman