[arin-tech-discuss] Does it make sense to forego RWhois and move to RESTful API for all customer assignments?

Andy Newton andy at arin.net
Tue Apr 30 09:34:50 EDT 2013

Dani,

Thanks for your questions. My response are in-line below:

On 4/29/13 2:03 PM, "Dani Roisman" <droisman at softlayer.com> wrote:

>1) Is there a limit to ARIN RESTful API requests (performance-related or
>artificially imposed)?  I don't have our numbers handy, but it could be
>in the "hundreds" of assignment/releases on a busy day, and it would be
>nice for our provisioning system to do these in real-time.

While we don't publish our limits, the use case you have outlined here is
well within normal usage of Reg-RWS. There should be no problem with the
load you are describing.

>2) Is the ARIN DB prepared to handle this volume of assignment
>information?  Again, I don't have our exact numbers handy, but it's in
>the low "hundreds of thousands" of subnets.

Yes, we should be able to handle it.

>3) Have others been considering or doing this yet?  If so, has it been
>successful / are there things to watch out for?

I can't actually speak for what others are doing with Reg-RWS, but we have
certainly seen a big rise in the number of transactions via RESTful calls.

>4) Is there a plan to allow us to associate multiple subnets with a
>single "Customer" object? At this time, RESTful API is making us create a
>new "Customer" object for *each* subnet, which just seems wrong to me in
>that it creates a bunch of extra data needlessly, and doesn't allow for
>reverse queries, e.g. "show all subnets assigned to CustomerXYZ."

When we redesigned our systems to accommodate Reg-RWS we did take into
account the ability to have multiple assignments for a customer. While
some work is still required on our end to allow this capability, it is not
onerous. If you would like to see ARIN prioritize this capability, the
official method for getting it in front of our management team is to
submit a suggestion via the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process
(ACSP). You can find the link to submit an ACSP here:
https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/

Thanks for your questions. Let me know if you have any follow up comments
or questions.

Andy Newton,
Chief Engineer, ARIN