[arin-tech-discuss] rest POCHANDLE returns not found

Bill Dolan BDOLAN at optimumlightpath.com
Fri Aug 5 10:43:43 EDT 2011

Thank you Andy.  It seems I got some misinformation from Eddie Diego regarding the url of the RWS.

Thanks to you, the issue of being able to connect is resolved.  I did have to add a "Content-Type=application/xml" header to resolve an Unsupported Media Type response.  Currently however, I still do not get the expected response from the GET /org/ORGHANDLE or GET /poc/POCHANDLE methods:
<error xmlns="http://www.arin.net/regrws/core/v1"> ( 'http://www.arin.net/regrws/core/v1" )
 <additionalInfo/>
  <code>E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND</code>
  <components>
   <component>
    <message>The referenced object does not exist.</message>
    <name>handle</name>
   </component>
  </components>
  <message>The referenced object does not exist.</message>
 </error>
Any ideas?  I thought maybe it had to do with my payload.  The documentation says there is no payload required for the GET /poc/POCHANDLE method.  Unfortunately, my integration framework does not allow null in the payload.  I have tried a single space and I have tried <poc /> but get the same error above.  Posting via a browser has the same effect.

Bill
>>> Andy Newton <andy at arin.net> 8/5/2011 9:21 AM >>>
Bill,

Whois-RWS does not use API KEYs at present, it is a read-only service with public data. Inclusion of the apikey parameter may be causing the problem, though I can't reproduce your issue.

However, I think you want to use the registration restful web service (Reg-RWS). At present it is at www.arin.net and requires https (e.g. https://www.arin.net/rest/poc/POCHANDLE?apikey=API-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX). You can verify your API KEY via ARIN Online. Also note that Reg-RWS only allows access to your resources; that is the resources with which your ARIN Online user account has been linked to via POCs.

I hope this is helpful information and answers your question.
Andy Newton,
ARIN Chief Engineer