[ARIN-Suggestions] Response and Closing for ACSP 2019.22: Alternative to reCAPTCHA

ARIN info at arin.net
Wed Dec 18 10:14:54 EST 2019

On 17 December, we closed ACSP Suggestion 2019.22: Alternative to
reCAPTCHA with the following response:

Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2019.22 upon confirmed receipt,
asking that we replace Google reCAPTCHA with another verification method.

We moved from using math problems because they were easy for bots to
defeat. In researching our use of math-based responses to mitigate abuse
of form-based web submissions, we saw many cases where bots are able to
trivially defeat the math-based solution. We found the reCAPTCHA system
to be a good match for ARIN's use meeting budgetary, labor, and user
expectation requirements. Therefore, ARIN currently has no plans to
abandon the use of reCAPTCHA and for this  reason, we are closing your
suggestion. We thank you for your participation in ARIN's Consultation
and Suggestion Process.

The full text of the suggestion is available below, or at:

https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/acsp/suggestions/2019-22.html

ARIN should stop using it’s customers as free labor to train Google’s AI

Value to Community:

This is even worse than the traditional model of “if you’re not paying,
you’re the product.” Googles reCAPTCHA means that end-users of web sites
which use it have no choice but to participate in training Google’s AI
systems without compensation.

ARIN should provide a viable alternative (such as returning to the
traditional math problem solution previously employed) rather than
subsidize Google in this manner.

Timeframe: Not specified

Regards,

The American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)