[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2012.16 - QUESTION ABOUT USING WHOIS

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Oct 22 12:46:46 EDT 2012

ARIN has issued its initial response to ACSP Suggestion 2012.16. The
suggestion and response text are provided below. This suggestion is now
closed and is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2012-16.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

I am a college student majoring in Information Systems Security, and one
of our projects is to use the resources of your whoi-is service to
determine the IP addresses of 3 universities' and find out if your
service can determine the geography of the specific IP addresses (with
accuracy). My question is how do I do this?

*Response:*

Thank you for contacting us regarding Whois. As you may know, ARIN's
Whois service gives contact and registration information for IP
addresses, autonomous system numbers (ASN), organizations or customers
that are associated with these resources, and related Points of Contact
(POC). It doesn't include information on domain names or military networks.

We provide a web interface to Whois data at http://whois.arin.net/ui/ -
using the search box in the upper-right part of the screen, you can
search for specific IP addresses and organizations and get back
information regarding the networks and organizations associated with
those Internet number resources. Actual geographic locations of where
these IP addresses are used are not part of the dataset in Whois and
ARIN does not track or provide such data.

Documentation on how to use the Whois service is provided at:
https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/whois_api.html

I hope this information proves helpful. As this is not something within
the scope of this suggestion process, this suggestion is now closed. If
you need further assistance, please contact our Registration Services
Help Desk at hostmaster at arin.net.