[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-4: Internet Exchange Point Definition

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu May 23 00:24:03 EDT 2024

On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 5:07 PM Tyler O'Meara via ARIN-PPML <
arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> Overall I support this change, but I have a few nitpicks:
>
> 1) We should only include abbreviations/other names for the term if they're
> actually used in the NRPM; I think future text that uses this definition
> would
> be clearer if we selected a single acronym.

But that's not the way the real world works. All the acronyms are in use
unfortunately.

> 2) I would remove the reference to Ethernet (or provide it as an example);
> we
> shouldn't prescribe what L2 switching technology gets used by the IXP

Open IX OIX-1, an ANSI standard, prescribes ethernet for IX's and
https://github.com/peeringdb/peeringdb/issues/1555
There's pretty much a slammed door on the idea that a router is an IX as
well.

> 3) I think Autonomous System should probably be capitalized, since we're
> referring to a specific technical definition.

In that form "autonomous systems" should remain lowercase because it is a
general term and not a proper noun.

The policy looks fine as it is, however let's see what the commentary on
the 4.4 rewrite looks like to ensure they line up properly and as the
community expects it will.