[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 28 18:11:51 EDT 2024

> On Jun 27, 2024, at 14:30, David Farmer via ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 4:23 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us <mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 2:19 PM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu <mailto:farmer at umn.edu>> wrote:
>> > To qualify for a /16 or /20, you must show your need
>> > using section 6.5.2.1—Size, and 6RD wouldn't qualify,
>> > at least not in my opinion.
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> John Curran has already said that ARIN would accept a wide range of
>> esoteric network designs as justifying an initial /16, provided they
>> were presented in good faith.

No, John said that ARIN would engage in a rigorous process with any such request that should ultimately culminate in some approval.

He did NOT say that such esoteric designs would necessarily culminate in approval of the full requested block size and indeed I am well aware of multiple instances in which ARIN and the applicant have come to solutions that resulted in a much smaller allocation than the original request both in v4 and in v6.

Owen