[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 27 15:19:37 EDT 2024

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 12:14 PM Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> I would argue that it is not needed for 6rd as you can pack
> things much denser with proper 6rd parameter management.

Hi Mark,

Of course it isn't needed for 6rd. That's not the question. The
question is: does such use technically justify addresses under current
ARIN policy? The answer, as I understand it, is: yes. If I happen to
have a couple dozen disjoint IPv4 allocations and I want to simplify
my 6rd deployment by throwing addresses at it, I have met the
requirements for an ARIN IPv6 allocation that throws 32 bits at 6rd.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin