[arin-ppml] Revised - ARIN-2024-2: WHOIS Data Requirements Policy for Non-Personal Information

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 10:18:52 EDT 2024

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 11:33 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> While ARIN continues to recognize the ongoing relevancy and
> importance for publicly available WHOIS information in its
> control, ARIN must also take stock of evolving regional
> developments pertaining to data privacy and the cross-border
> sharing of personally identifying information (PII) which have
> led to or could lead to redactions among similar WHOIS
> resources outside of ARIN’s purview.

I observe that there is no right to privacy with respect to real
estate ownership. Owners *can* arrange for a pseudonymous legal entity
to actually own the land if they want to go to the effort, but they
can't redact that ownership from public view.

ARIN does not and has never required reporting of ephemeral address use.

The proposal looks interesting. I'd like to hear more discussion
before deciding whether I support it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--