[arin-ppml] Feedback Request: Policy ARIN-2024-6: 6.5.1a Definition Update

Douglas Camin doug at dougcamin.com
Wed Jun 19 15:15:08 EDT 2024

ARIN Community –

As a co-shepherd on policy 2024-6, Kendrick Knowles and I are soliciting the community for feedback on this policy proposal that was recently accepted as draft:

---
Problem Statement:
Section 2.4 of the NRMP defines “A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that primarily assigns IP addresses to the users of the network services that it provides. LIRs are generally Internet Service Providers (ISPs) whose customers are primarily end users and possibly other ISPs.” This statement differs from the intention of section 6.5.1a that allows section 6 to use LIR and ISP interchangeably. This proposal seeks to clarify the text in section 6.
Policy Statement:
Change the text from:
The terms ISP and LIR are used interchangeably in this document and any use of either term shall be construed to include both meanings.
The terms ISP and LIR are used interchangeably in this SECTION and any use of either term shall be construed to include both meanings.
---

One small note – the policy statement capitalizes the word SECTION to indicate what has been changed; our intention is to ensure that is not capitalized as it moves forward in the process.

We welcome any feedback the community might have on this policy proposal, including statements of support as written.

Thank you!

Doug

--
Douglas J. Camin